Here are some safety tips from doctors at BluePearl:
- Keep holiday decorations out of reach. Ingestion of metal or glass ornaments, ribbons and tinsel is a medical emergency. They can cause severe damage to the gastrointestinal tract.
- Place holiday plants high off the ground. Ivy, holly, poinsettia, lilies and evergreens can be toxic to animals if ingested.
- Seal garbage bags and place them in tightly covered containers to prevent pets from getting into something that could injure them.
- Keep pets away from turkey bones, chicken bones and ham bones that can splinter and perforate the intestinal tract.
- Keep your pets on their normal diets. Many spices and foods that are safe for humans are not safe for animals. Onions, garlic, chocolate, raisins, grapes, macadamia nuts, the sugar substitute xylitol and raw or undercooked food can be poisonous to pets.
- Make sure as guests and deliveries come and go pets remain safely inside. Doors left open can result in your pet being hit by a car.
From all of us to all of you, we wish you and your family a wonderful and safe holiday season!